Sunday, April 26, 2009

Breast Cancer Symposium

Today I went to a breast cancer symposium at the 92nd St. Y. It was one of my first steps in moving away from my "denial period". I sat next to a woman who went through bc last year and asked me what kind of chemo my Mom is doing and if she's had 'x,y & z' tests. I felt like an idiot that I didn't know, but now I feel ready to fully tackle this and do my research & due diligence, if you will.

I was most impressed w/ the seminars as we had Dr. Paul Gross, Dr. Larry Norton and Dr. Eric Winer discuss the current research and advancements in breast cancer. That was followed by two seminars on contemporary risk factors and navigating breast cancer naturally. The final session was a discussion panel of well known NYC women who have survived breast cancer; the moderator was Hoda Kotb, and she did an amazing job. I was so moved by their honest answers and how vulnerable they were.

I left feeling a little exhausted after 5 hours of bc information. Afterwards, I got my favorite salad at Fetch and headed to the East River to go over the handouts. I have a favorite spot under a beautiful, almost full willow tree- that is where I first went on the day Mom was diagnosed w/ bc.

Mom- I love you so much! You're going to do great!

No comments: