Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Bone to pick

I got a text from my sweet friend LeeAnne this morning telling me that the peonies are now at all of the bodegas and flower markets. (thanks, LA!) If you know me, you know that I LOVE peonies. And if you really know me, you'll know I never have peonies in my apt/house except on May 1st. My grandmother, Memo, loved peonies and had many peony bushes in her backyard. Their beautiful smell reminds me of her and running around on her farmhouse.

She died May 1st, 2007 and after that I promised myself I'd only buy peonies on May 1st (I know, it's kinda strange...) Anyways, last year the peonies were right on time at my favorite, local bodega. This year- nothing. Granted, I was driving halfway across the East Coast on May 1st- but I still looked for them last week. Now they're there. Gah. I missed them by a week. I am so bummed. If you're in NYC, please stop and smell the peonies!!!
I will leave you with the ones from last year. :)

1 comment:

ginna said...

Aww so pretty. Perhaps we can find some in the 'boro this weekend. ACTUALLY. Let's go to former home and steal the peonies that we planted from Memo's garden. 1)Steal flowers. 2)Egg house. 3)Laugh at boys. Yes! It's a plan!