Monday, August 10, 2009

63 things

So I've been on a blog freeze lately and haven't had much to write about. Not that life hasn't been interesting, because it has, but it's August and the living is easy. Plus I have a lot of decisions to make in the next few weeks mainly: location, career, housing, job, etc. So I'll wait to share those with this public blog until I have concrete answers and plans.

Anyway, I was looking through old blog posts for some reason and found this post I wrote back in December when Facebook had its "post 25 things you don't know about me" phase. While I enjoyed learning new things about my friends, I decided to disclose mine to a smaller crowd. I made a blog post about it and went above and beyond with lofty plans to put up a post for my 100th blog post. So I sat down and wrote out 100 things people don't know about me/thoughts/opinions and all of those other little blurbs. Clearly, even though I was a much better blogger then (I'm blaming the August heat!) to sit down and come up with 100 things, I never posted it.

I had a lot of fun going back and reading what I wrote and while most of it is still true, I definitely had to cut back on those 100 insights into my life. There were some that were just stupid and then those little, special nothings that only your closest friends and family should know about you.

SO! Here goes. While I have taken out a lot, I haven't added any- although I really could. Enjoy!

1. I hate lotion.

2. I love, love, love giving birthday gifts.

3. I don't like coffee, but I'm trying to like it.

4. I buy peonies on May 1st.

5. I love traditions

6. I am in complete awe of my Mother who has this crazy awesome and amazing passion and love for horses. I will never understand it or feel the same way... but this is one thing that I love about her

7. I can't handle food in the fridge for too long... esp. milk and other dairy products; if it's close to being old- forget it!

8. I rub my nose a funny way and have a permanent crease in the middle of it for this very reason. Oh and my family hates it when I do this.

9. I was a nanny for two little boys. Being a nanny was one of the best things I've ever done. I love those boys more than they will ever know.

10. I put a little dent my soda cans. Every time.

11. I like having a perfume for each season.

12. When I like a song I will play it over and over a million times.

13. I think it is important to know people in your neighborhood and to know their names.

14. When I say hello to Manuel, my pizza guy or walk past my flower guy, Jose, and they wave back, I feel more "known" in my City of millions than in my small hometown in NC

15. I hate when the covers are all folded in and my feet can't get out.

16. I'm not good at giving massages.

17. I was a vegetarian for 6 years.

18. I love visiting with friends.

19. Just two of the many times I have recently been overwhelmed by God's goodness are:

20. When I was on Martha's Vineyard this past Fall riding a bike through the island, sun on my face and I could just feel God's glory. It was an incredible day.

21. When I remember that God gives us the beautiful scent of a flower. And how no man can ever make that.

22. I love stationery!

23. I love, love snail mail!

24. It bothers me when tv characters don't stay loyal in their tv relationships.

25. I love purses and bags.

26. I love going on walks by myself late at night in the snow.

27. One time I yelled at a taxi cab driver when he slammed on the breaks after I told him to go slow because I had a HUGE crock pot full of soup in my lap. I felt sooo bad and apologized for my rude outburst even though I had soup all over me.

28. If I could choose my last meal it would be from this amazing European wrap place in Huntington, Long Island. Oh. Yummnesssss.

29. I could live off of chocolate chip cookies for the rest of my life

30. I love my sisters tremendously.

31. There's this picture of them taken by my cousin... they were maybe 6,7 years old and I still see their personalities as the same.

32. I give most people nicknames. Except if your name is Aaron.

33. No one can make me laugh like Allison can.

34. The number 34 is one of my favorite numbers and I'm not sure why. (Ok, so maybe it was Mike Dunleavy's jersey number at Duke)

35. One of my favorite moments in life is when my Dad laughs. I mean really laughs.

36. My cousin Jonathan can make my Dad really laugh.

37. In 10 years I want to have to send out 500 Christmas cards.

38. I want to keep in touch with everyone I grew up with, know now and will know.

39. It bothers me to no end when people don't give up their seats for pregnant women, women with young children or the elderly on subways or buses. It also makes me cry when a stranger gives up their seat for me, which rarely happens.

40. I think pacifiers look funny on kids.

41. I love to cook and bake.

42. I graduated in a class of 7 people- I still consider them some of my dearest friends.

43. I would love to have the luxury of owning a boat one day.

44. I only use black pens when I write.

45. My cursive and print handwriting are very distinct of each other.

46. I get two eggs and cheese on a roll with salt and pepper from the deli down the street once every weekend.

47. I remember and know a lot of people's birthdays.

48. I love feta cheese.

49. My left pinky finger has been broken since the 2nd grade.

50. I've been to China 3 times.

51. I prefer Coke and don't think I will ever drink Diet Coke.

52. I love the smell of Christmas.

53. I hate using pencils. It's like nails on a chalkboard to me.

54. I don't think people should put Honeymoon pictures on Facebook. Or at least put a tasteful few of y'all in front of the sunset. We don't need to see you in your bathrobes. There. I said it.

55. I love a big, wrap around front porch.

56. Home is definitely where the heart is.

57. I think I might be Monica on Friends.

58. My pastor, Dr. Tim Keller, is one of the coolest people I know. And I've never met him.

59. I love that my Dad and I are birthday buddies and Gin and Awah are birthday buddies.

60. I hate UNC, but only in March. And especially when Duke loses to UNC.

61. I love when family and friends come to visit me in NYC.

62. I love tulips in the spring, peonies in May, ferns & hydrangeas in the summer, sunflowers in August, mums in the fall, roses in December, and gerbra daisies any time of the year!

63. Last and most important: I love the Gospel and what Christ did on the cross for me.

3 comments:

Allison Parker said...

thanks for the distraction at work.. i was able to eat breakfast and be entertained the whole time, avoiding what i should be doing...


oh, and i love to make you laugh.

ginna said...

How's Avril? You guys still tight?

Carrie said...

Haha, Ginna. That's a good one.