Thursday, October 2, 2008

Chivalry is alive & well

(Or at least it was last night)



So last night I was on the subway coming home from visiting w/ friends. It was super late and I was really tired. The train finally came and I got on and found an empty spot to stand as all the seats were taken. That's cool. I can stand, I didn't have too far to go. Well, before I know it this nice man comes over to me and ushers me to where he was seated.



He gave me his seat.



It meant the world to me. A subway seat is a rarity (most times) and to give it up is a small sacrificial gift. When it happens... and it doesn't happen that often, but when it does, I am flooded with thankfulness & sometimes emotion. Does he know how much that means to me? Probably not. It wasn't the seat he gave up it was him looking around at the needs of others and valuing a perfect strangers comfort above his own.

This speaks volumes to me.

No comments: