Monday, October 6, 2008

What not to do: giggle uncontrollably

So after work I got on my cell and called Al. We had a lengthy conversation about how we hate purple lighting for weddings, the types of boots we want, how Trader Joes is awesome in so many ways and other random but necessary topics of conversation.

I walked from Grand Central area to Times Square. I stood outside the subway for a while talking to Al and listening to this street guy making the most beautiful music/beat in the world on his collection of pots, pans, empty mail containers and other various & creative non-instruments. Seriously, it's like the greatest music I've ever heard. It makes me want to dance and cry all at the same time as I watch this dude who is so passionate and so creative about his music and yet has such little material wealth (that I can tell). Those things make me happy.

So when my bride-to-be best friend & I get off the phone, I head down to catch the train. And because I have (sadly) become this person who has to be doing/talking/listening to something or someone, I put my cell in my purse and go straight for my iPod.

Rushing through the TS subway station, I then wait patiently for the 1 train. I'm headed to the UWS for a meeting at Church and surprisingly, I'm not running late. Which reminds me of what one of my guy friends said this past weekend when he came 1.5 hours late to the park: that all New Yorkers are at least 15 minutes late anywhere they go. It's true. So true. (And in his defense, I should have known not to plan a day in the park on a Sunday afternoon that would interfere w/ NFL games. Silly me.)

Ok, I'm getting off track here. (Pun intended).

So I'm waiting for the train and this is all second nature to me. Wait for the train. Get in. Hold on tight. Hold your purse even tighter. Get off. Go on your way. Done.

Well, the 1 train comes and I walk in and thankfully the subway isn't that crowded. (That's the great thing about getting on at TS- most people leave). So I find a little spot and the doors shut. I'm in my own world listening to the Goo Goo Dolls (I love them. They are probably my favorite band of all time. Holler if you want to go to a concert next summer). So I'm listening and then I happen to look up at this person who is literally right in front of me; facing me.

My mouth drops.

It's Clinton Kelly from What Not to Wear. Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh I'm so close I could reach out my hand and touch him. He is standing right there. I stare at him for a while, longer than the normal amount of time you should stare at anyone in the subway. I think he sees me because I look away and yall, I couldn't stop laughing. I was like a little girl w/ my giggles. I then look right back at him and he can clearly see that I am in shock. He starts to smile and I then look away and continue on in my giggling. I did contemplate asking him if he liked my outfit... and I would have except that I had my iPod in and I'm also of the firm persuasion to let celebrities live as normal of a life as possible. I know Clint saw that I was star-struck but I didn't quite know what to do.

It totally threw me off! I mean he's in the subway. Very few famous people ride the subway (except Bloomberg, holla). I kept looking around and NO ONE noticed him, until he got off at 50th and passed right by me and this girl coming in saw him and had the same star-struckness and we then had a moment as we were excited together because no one else noticed (or cared about) Clinton Kelly. So that was definitely the most random celebrity sighting I've ever had. And yes, he was dressed quite nicely.

So tonight was really an awesome time because it was a Redeemer leaders meeting and we had a stellar talk by Dr. Tim Keller. He was talking about community and the Gospel and how our view of community is often tainted with a Western theme of individualness. He then expounded upon the true Biblical vision for community and encouraged us in many ways. I have yet to meet him. Sounds crazy, right?! I've been going to Redeemer for 3 years and have yet to meet my Pastor! Well that's what I get when I'm vying for his attention along w/ 4000 other people. But one day, one day. :D

And let me just give a shout out to my dear friend Pamela. What a great friend she is! After the meeting we got to catch up over dinner. It was one of those times when you talk like no one else is around. Like the times you look into a restaurant and see two people totally engrossed in a conversation that they don't look away or notice much else and you just know they're talking about the best things in life.

Afterwards as I was walking home, I realized it's really cold. Cold like puffy coat cold. Cold like close your windows cold. Cold like I want to snuggle wuggle with Ginna cold. Cold like I want to be in front of a fire cold.

In the end, it was a great day. Hooray for Monday. I do love Monday's.

2 comments:

ginna said...

Oh Carrie! You should have asked him what he thought of your outfit! What were you wearing, by the way? Oooh too funny. I could totally picture you gigglying it up. And I'd love to snuggle with you soon... 10 days and we can!!!

Allison Parker said...

I love this story. I've told it to everyone I know who'd appreciate it (Brian thought it was pretty funny- he's a closeted What Not To Wear fan). I WISH I could have been there to experience that with you. I can imagine the story well.. with you giggling. :)

Miss you lots!